More tech art designed for public spaces

(via Create Digital Motion)

Home-grown industrial tech art. That’s how I might describe the work of Karsten Schmidt, aka Toxi (blogs here and here). He uses Java and Processing, developing his own libraries as needed: physics, audio, video, 3d–you name it.  Just another hobbyist messing with processing?  I don’t think so–check out his portfolio (audi, bmw, nokia, channel4, etc.).

He has released some videos demonstrating some of his work and the processes he developed for the projects.  Here is one that details his recent development of the bouncy, squishy little generative creatures that are the Nokia Friends. These generative characters bounce around in Nokia flagship stores and in Heathrow Terminal 5.

The making of: Nokia Friends, generative characters from postspectacular on Vimeo.

Proprietary software? Nope. Java. Processing. Custom open-source libraries available for download at Toxi’s GoogleCode page.

category: Tech Art, Techniques     tags: , , , ,

3 Comments so far

1.    selena on May 30th, 2011

thanks for your post. Some of the designs are pretty cool. I think public spaces do need livened up as it makes it feel more cultural and people will want to use them.

Selena,
    Author at Ab Circle Pro

2.    Stuart on June 6th, 2011

i think these are pretty much cool ideas and designs. though some of the designs are very childish.

3.    Ian Jones on September 21st, 2011

I agree with Selena here- I certainly believe that livening up public spaces will make them more appealing to potential users. Certainly where I live parks and open spaces are vastly underused and I think that this is a great shame. Children in particular should be encouraged to be outdoors and to socialise, but this is often an unattractive prospect considering the state of many public places! Giving public spaces a truly individual through the use of design also really helps to give somewhere a sense of identity. I’m a strong believer that generic design and blandness should be avoided where possible and does nothing to attract people to a place, so I’ll definitely be supporting any plans for more original artwork.